After a crazy weather week which included snow (20 cm! What happened to spring?) and cold and rain, we’ve finally had some nice weather. And what better way to spend the day than to tackle the camper reno.
Ready to go!
The kids were in school and Hubbs was at work. Armed with my work gloves and a bucketful of determination, I headed out to the camper. We had only gotten half way through the gutting stage (see the post about that here) so I still had a fair bit to do. Since I don’t know much about electrical or plumbing (that’s what Hubbs used to do before he joined the military), I decided to just do what I could.
Tearing out the rest of the bench seating was the easy part. I quickly got both areas down to the frame and looked around to see what I could do next. We still needed to remove the stove, sink, heater, and refrigerator. The biggest problem for me was that the camper had been built with 8 point headed screws (had to google that one). It took forever to find a screwdriver that would work on them. (I am certainly not proficient in screwdriver terminology…I use descriptions such as square, “x”, line, etc.)
Removing the stove
The first appliance to be removed was the stove. It came out fairly easily, and I got a huge ego boost. If it was that easy to remove the stove, I wonder how easy it would be to remove the heater? How about the fridge? Turns out it wasn’t as easy as I thought. So I just tore out the walls around them.
Tearing down around the heater
Now I was on a roll! Next onto the bathroom walls!
Demoing the bathroom
Finally, Hubbs and the boys were home, and I got some help.
My little helper!
Hubbs removed the fridge, heater, sink and pipes for me. But since it was getting late in the day, we had to stop. Oh how I wish there were more hours in the day!
Almost finished gutting
As we were doing a final clean up, we found a cute little treasure! A fishing knife that floats!
A great find!
Next step is to remove the remaining cabinet and countertop, and then on to the flooring! I’m hoping to tackle that job this afternoon!
*Update: We did not finish this project. Hubby ended up with an opportunity for a career change and we just were not able to complete the project before he left for training and then a move shortly after his return. Hopefully we will be able to do something similar in the future.